How to use POULTEX
An invaluable multi-purpose dressing aid for use in the treatment of most diseases, injuries and conditions of the skin.
POULTEX can be prepared like a traditional poultice, or take advantage of the less fuss, less mess and easy to use bag preparation system.
What makes POULTEX so effective?
POULTEX has been developed from over fifteen years of pharmaceutical knowledge and dressing design skills.
- SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYL CELLULOSE
It’s a mouthful to say but it’s derived from natural plants and is a great gelling agent. When activated with water it draws out pus, dirt, abscesses and infected wounds. It also helps the pad retain more water which increases the pads duration and capacity for activity.
- NATURAL SEA SALT
When the salt dissolves in the water within the POULTEX pad it forms a non-sting saline solution. It has cleansing, healing and tissue stimulating properties.
- SUPER ABSORBENT COTTON WOOL
This makes up the main absorbent body of the pad and also acts as a protective cushioning layer. It maximises strength, absorption and fluid retention.
- SURGICAL LINT BP
This lies beneath the contact layer. It provides strength and makes the pad easier to handle when it’s wet. It absorbs well and holds away pus or infected secretions. It is excellent at enhancing the drawing activity.
- POLYETHYLENE MEMBRANE
This is the final layer which prevents leak-through of blood or exudates collected, and assists in reducing evaporation to further improve heat or cold retention.
- SECURING POULTEX ONTO LIMBS
Wrapz™ cohesive bandages are highly suitable for most situations.
- SECURING POULTEX ONTO HOOFS
E-band™ (elastic adhesive bandage) is particularly robust and suitable for holding dressings in place.
For further peace of mind, W-Tape™/A-Tape™ may be used over the bandage.
How to use POULTEX
First of all ensure that all treatment areas have been cleaned thoroughly.
'Woundwash' solution is a convenient method for flushing clean all wounds.
When needing a dry dressing pad POULTEX is ready to use immediately.
Follow the steps below to activate the pad when it is required wet.
- Choose the appropriate sized POULTEX pad.
- Use cooled boiled water and pour the water into the bag to the correct level indicated for your chosen size. For example, when using pad 'D' only fill the bag to the line marked 'D'.
- Now place the pad into the Activator Bag. Seal bag, expelling all the air.
- Massage the bag to ensure the pad is evenly saturated. Make sure that the temperature of the pad is acceptable to your own skin before placing it on to your horse’s
- Remove pad from the bag and place onto the affected area with the green centre line facing away from the wound.
- Smooth down firmly and mould to underlying contours. Do not allow the pad to overlap itself, and ensure that there are no creases which may form pressure points after bandaging.
Never bandage too tightly. Especially by over-stretching elasticated bandages. If the bandage is applied too tightly then circulation can be seriously restricted. Always apply any bandage with even tension.
Peace of Mind for the Veterinary Professional
ISO 9001 & 13485 High Quality Manufacturing for over 30 years
Unparalleled Customer Support
VN’s or RVT’s on hand to support your business
Delivering better patient outcomes
Products Designed and Developed for the Veterinary professional
Overnight Direct Supply
International distribution partners around the world